Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sydney - The Bridge Climb

If you read my Christmas blog post you know that I was given a gift certificate to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I was given the Platinum Certificate which allows you to climb the bridge at twilight giving you the best of all the bridge climb opportunities - blue sky while daylight, the sunset, and the city lights - all in the same climb.

When I arrived we filled out forms pretty much saying we'll follow the rules and won't sue them. We also got breathalyzed, which funny enough was my first time ever being breathalyzed. The lady couldn't understand why I didn't know what to do. Anyways, afterwards we got all geared up - jumpsuit (no jumping allowed), jumper, belt with the thing that connects you to the wire that runs along the bridge, hat, headphones and radio pack, and... I think that is everything. It all felt heavy at first but then I got used to it. Everything is connected to you in one way or another. The hat, headphones, and jumper are attached by this clip strap things, the radio is in a velcro pouch on the belt, glasses are connected with straps, your headlight is on a headband around your neck, your locker key is attached to a lanyard around your neck, and if you take a hankie that is attached to your wrist with an elastic band. You aren't allowed clips in your hair and your hair has to be tied back with an elastic. You aren't allowed dangling jewelry. You can't take up a camera or cellphone and your pockets must be empty. You have to go through a metal detector before you go up. All of this is to keep things from falling into the Harbour or onto the cars/trains below. I also found out that the jumpsuits are required by the city to be dark blue and gray to blend in with the bridge and sky as to not distract the drivers or take away from the beauty of the Bridge. When gearing up it was all so organized. Everything had its exact place and I pretty much felt like I was part of an assembly line except I was the thing being assembled. It made the whole process go very smoothly and quickly. There was even a ladder/bridge climbing practice piece that we all had to do before we could go out there. This whole process took about 45 minutes or so and then it was time to CLIMB!!

At the beginning of the climb you connect the ball on your belt to the wire along the wall. This wire runs all the way up, across, and down the bridge so you are connected at all times. To start you walk through a tunnel shaped like a coffin (whether or not this was done on purpose, I don't know) at the other end of the coffin shaped tunnel is a very narrow (about 24 inches wide) walkway. No big deal right? Except for the fact that this walkway only has a bar on either side to hold on to and keep you from falling, is quite high over a road, and the part you are walking on is just wooden planks. This was all quite unsettling until I looked straight and up and realized that I was under/in the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I could see the individual rivets, the pieces welded to other pieces holding things in place, and got a better idea of its true architecture. It felt like the walk way went on for quite some time as we ducked under low steel beams, stepped over steal beams, and squeezed between walls and beams. We finally got to the ladder portion, which was slow and awkward. The ladders are really steep and each step is really small and close to the next one so every time I took a step I hit my knee on the metal step. To avoid this painful ladder climbing I had to climb with my knees turned out... just felt and I know it looked extremely weird. The ladders were slightly anxiety producing because 1) they were so steep I was pretty much walking up completely perpendicular to the floor and 2) the side railings weren't on both sides the whole time.

When we finally got to the top of all the ladders and came out from under the bridge and were now on top of the bridge... it all started sinking in. Standing at the bottom corner of the Bridge if I looked straight I saw the arch of the bridge and if I looked to my right I saw the Opera House, Circular Quay (the main wharf in Sydney), and The Rocks. And up the steps along the arch of the bridge we went. We climbed for quite some time until we got to the first photo op - a picture on the bridge with the Opera House in the background. Photo ops also provide an opportunity for a break from the climbing. Once everyone got their picture we climbed further until it was time for a rest. Then climbed some more until we reached the summit where we took another photo. We crossed the bridge and spent some time looking over the railing in the center of the bridge as we stood over a 6 lane road and 2 train lines. On our way down the other side of the bridge we all stopped in our tracks as we saw colorful sparks in the sky behind the skyscrapers, then more, and then more again. On top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge looking out at the city lights we were watching fireworks be set off in the city over the buildings. Everyone was silent, including our tour leader, as we took in the moment.



Once the fireworks were over we continued down the steps to our next photo op with the city lights behind us (above pic) and then down the ladders (which weren't quite as awkward as up, but there was the added difficulty of doing it in the dark now). Then we began working our way in and around between/underneath the bridge and what do you know... more fireworks, but this time off a small boat in the Harbour right in front of us. Once again, we all went still and silent. It was at this moment that Sydney made me cry for the 2nd time. I was standing in/under/between the Sydney Harbour Bridge, a dream I've had for 12 years, looking over the glittering Harbour below with a beautiful display of spontaneous, colorful fireworks right in front of me... It was as if God was standing right behind me with His hands on my shoulders whispering, "Your dream has come true. This is all for you my love", as we watched His beautiful gift to me, together. Even now as I think about it... I get chills and teary eyed. As I've said since before I left for Australia - I wouldn't want to take this journey with anyone else. His love for me and how much He cares about what matters to me...... There just aren't words for it. =]

Once the fireworks were over we all clapped and cheered although it took me a moment to join in because I had forgotten there were other people around and I had to pull myself out of my moment. Our tear leader then informed us that stopping to watch both sets of fireworks had put us way behind schedule so for the rest of the way off/out of the bridge she didn't talk and we speed walked it back to where we started. I'll take it though for the moments I got to have while on the bridge.

Once we got back and went backwards through the assembly line getting de-geared it was time to buy pictures. Now, I'm not one to spend substantial amounts of money on things like this, but this time I let myself for a few reasons. 1) Because the climb was a gift, I didn't have the financial turmoil rolling around in my head that would have otherwise been there. 2) After 12 years of dreaming, I think a few pictures are worth it. And 3) Who knows if I'll ever get the opportunity to do this again. After purchasing my pictures I went down to the gift shop to give a 2nd look at a sweatshirt I had been eyeing earlier... and I bought it... even though it was ridiculously priced for a sweatshirt. Reasons for that purchase? They are the same as the other 3, but also my only jumpers here in Australia are white, light gray, and dark gray and I have really been wanting one with some color to brighten my days, so I went with bright pink (it is brighter than the picture lets on). =]

I must add that our tour leader, Jess, really helped make the experience everything it was. She was funny, personable, and knew tons of information (which is her job really). You never would have guessed we all just met her. It was like we were all her best friend for years. During our rest breaks while climbing she came by and talked to each of us. She played games while we waited for other groups to continue forward. She even got us to scare the mess out of the group in front of us. She whispered into her microphone that on the count of 3 we were going to all raise our hands and shout "woo-hoo" as loud as we could, so we did. : ) And when someone mentioned the lack of sunset due to clouds... she made sure to point out that at least it wasn't pouring down rain like it did a few days prior when all the climbers were up to their ankles in water as it poured down the steps on the arch and that at least it wasn't so hot that we were passing out like a boy on a climb a couple days prior... She gave us perspective. And then we had a set of fireworks and everyone forgot about the fact that we didn't get a sunset. : )

And so that concludes the moment my 12 year long dream came true. And that moment I had with my Heavenly Father during the fireworks... Yeah, hope I never forget that feeling. <3

***A special thanks to My Aussie Family (the Rowntrees) for giving me a gift way beyond what I ever would have expected and assisting in making this dream of mine a reality. =D ***

No comments:

Post a Comment