Thursday, March 14, 2013

Children Are The Teachers

All in one day/night the kids taught me 3 valuable lessons and each one has its own story. So get a snack, get comfy, grab a blanket, and listen in.

Benjamin
Story: I picked Ben up from school and he was in his normal good mood, which is generally quickly ruined once we pick up Michelle. It was Tuesday though, which meant Michelle was getting picked up by her grandmother so Ben and I continued to the car as his good mood held firm. We got home and continued working on a countdown chain that we had started the day before. Just Ben and I, hanging out in my room, chatting and doing craft. Once we finished we went into his room where he wanted to take pretend naps and read/sing books. For about an hour and a half Ben had my complete, undivided, one-on-one attention where he was doing everything at his own pace and no one was telling him what to do or not to do. Come dinner time he ate it all right away, didn't fuss over what was for dessert, and went right upstairs for bath. He got in at 5:45 and didn't get out until 6:45. The whole time in the bath he just quietly played with a bath book, boats, duckies, and sponge by himself. He got out, got dressed right away, he had his milk, we read books, we got silly making Old McDonald animal noises and playing with Joseph, then he went right upstairs and brushed teeth right away and well. Then he went to bed with no questions or fussing.
Moral: Sometimes a child's poor behavior is simply their way of expressing their need for things to slow down to their pace and for some attention.


Joseph
Story: Daniel was sitting in a chair in the living room holding Joseph who was being quite fussy. Ben and I were at the end of the Old McDonald book and started making crazy animal (and tractor) sounds together. Instantly the most beautiful giggles started pouring out of Joseph. I've never heard him giggle like that for as long as he did. Needless to say, Ben and I continued with our ridiculous noises until we tired out.
Moral: Saying "gobble gobble" over and over again and Ben making the engine sound of a tractor will turn a fussy baby into a baby full of smiles and laughter.


Michelle
Story: Michelle got in bed and was finishing a book she had started early. I told her once she finished that book that I would play the 2nd half (she listened to the 1st half the night before) of the princess story on her Sonos. I then went downstairs to cut up some pear for my dessert. While I was down there she finished the book and then started yelling for me to turn on the story. I can't count on one hand the number of times she yelled for me. Instead of getting upset and ruining the beautiful evening we've all had, I decided to ignore it until I got upstairs. When I got upstairs I put my stuff in my room and then walked into hers and said in a soft/sweet voice, "Why yes your highness, what could you so desperately need?" By the look on her face she knew she shouldn't have done all that screaming. She told me what she wanted (without screaming it) and I replied with, "I was downstairs preparing some dessert for myself and was going to turn it on when I came up. You could have waited without screaming or you could have come downstairs or even to the top of the stairs to tell me you were ready. Only spoiled, rotten princesses scream like that if they want something and you are a clever, polite princess who can come up with other solutions." She gave me her cheeky grin, again showing me she knows she shouldn't have, and then apologized. I said, "I'm going to go turn the story on. Good night clever, polite princess. See you in the morning."
Moral: Sometimes an angry voice is necessary when children display poor behavior, but other times there are more appropriate, more fun ways to shape their behavior that work just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment