Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Melbourne Cup Day

Melbourne Cup Day is a public holiday for metropolitan Melbourne and some parts of regional Victoria. The  Melbourne Cup is the major horse race in Australia. The race covers a distance of 3,200 metres and takes place every year in Melbourne at 3pm on the first Tuesday in November. The first race was held in 1861. It is one of the most popular spectator events in Australia with sometimes over 110,00 people (record was 122,736 in 2003). The attire is just as much an attraction as the horse race. Substantial prizes are awarded for the best-dressed man and woman - expensive dresses, elegant hats/fascinators, full suits, etc.

Around 300 - 400 horses are nominated each year and the initial entry fee is $600. However, only 24 horses can compete. The owner of each horse must declare the horse as an acceptor and pay a fee - 1st $960, 2nd $1,450, 3rd $2,420, and 4th $45,375. 

The prize money is in the millions. In 2010 the prize money hit 6 million. This year the prize money was 6.2 million. 85% of the prize money is given to the owner of the horse. 10% of the money is given to the horse's trainer. The remaining 5% of the money goes to the jockey. The owner of the winning horse also receives a trophy, while the trainer and jockey receive a miniature replica.

My Melbourne Cup Day
Since it is a public holiday Daniel had off work, which meant I had off work. I spent Monday night at Nikki and Louise's for a break. I spent most of Tuesday hanging out in my pjs. Around 2 or so I went with the Rowntree's to their family friends' house for the race. It's actually quite a cool tradition they have. The two families get together, have good food (fresh fruit, cupcakes, and chips), draw horse names, cheer for their chosen horse(s) for the 3 minute race, and then get prizes. The people who drew the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and last place horses get to choose which bag/box of chocolate they want... and then they share it with everyone. All 3 I drew came in somewhere in the middle. Afterwards I went back home with Nikki and Louise, hung out a bit, and then we picked up pizza for dinner. 

The winner of the Melbourne Cup this year was Green Moon. Green Moon is owned by an Australian businessman who has now won 4 Melbourne Cups (1981, 1985, 2007, 2012). Green Moon is a 6 year old stallion born in Ireland. He began his career in England until he was bought by his current Australian owner. And he was sired by Monteju, which is apparently a pretty big deal in the horse world. If I do end up taking the job extension, I will be in Australia for next year's Melbourne Cup and I plan on attending the actual race just to say I've done that. Tickets are quite expensive for a 3 minute horse race, which is the main reason I chose not to go this year.

A public holiday for a horse race seems a little silly to me but if it means I get off work, get to spend time with good company, and get to enjoy yummy food and candy... then I say, bring on the horse races!!! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment