Tuesday, November 27, 2012

USA Thanksgiving In AUS

Jen and Daniel gave me Friday morning (Thursday afternoon back home) off so that I could Skype my family for Thanksgiving lunch/dinner. It actually worked out quite perfectly - the internet was on its best behavior (no cutting in and out and dropping the call like usual), I could see and hear everyone, and they could hear and see me. I was able to be part of all the conversations and laugh with them and honestly felt like I was there. I even got to Skype with and tell my Munkie happy Thanksgiving. As I posted on facebook, my family may have been eating turkey, stuffing, and fresh rolls while I was eating my breakfast cereal, but that honestly didn't matter to me at all. I was just glad I could celebrate this holiday with the people who I love most - my family (and my cat). After it was all said and done, rather than being sad and lonely as I had expected I would be, I was smiling, full of joy and love, and in a wonderful mood. From half way around the world I just celebrated Thanksgiving with my family... how could I be anything but thrilled?
After Skyping with my family I then Skyped with my 2nd family. It was a really good to see all of them and everyone be awake and talkative because usually when I Skype them it is fairly late and everyone is pretty much ready for bed (can't blame 'em though). So, not only did I get to spend Thanksgiving with my family, but I also got to spend it with my 2nd family (who I miss terribly) and I'm not sure that would have happened if I was actually there!! 

I went downstairs and did a bit of tidying around the house for Jen and then she came home and asked how I was doing (also expecting me to be a little down). I told her I was actually alright and then she said, well since I knew this is a day you might be a little sad I got you this - and she pulled out a paper bag from Aviv - the local bakery who makes the all time best semi-sweet Challah with crumbs on top and sultanas inside - and then said, "It's not a roast turkey but..." I said, "Is that?!" and she nodded yes. I then asked if it was for tonight (Shabbat). And she said no, that this one was all for me and I didn't have to wait until tonight to eat it. I immediately started in on it. I'm a girl who just can't resist a loaf of Challah and I'm not ashamed to admit that. 


The rest of my day was fairly uneventful... I watched TV, did a little of this and a little of that, Jen picked up Ben and brought him home, and then I went and picked up Michelle and took her to group violin. I skipped Shabbat and went down the road a bit for a babysitting job which was a piece of cake and I now have a new family to babysit for whenever they need someone. In addition to all this awesomeness, I didn't have to see 8 million flyers, store windows, and commercials advertising Black Friday/Thursday. 

So yeah, I seriously couldn't have imagined a Thanksgiving away from home going any better. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment