Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Check. Check. And Check.

I wanted to leave Australia knowing that I didn't leave anything on my check list unchecked. I thought I had a few months left to do some of these things so I hadn't actually planned for them, but since the time was shortened, I made sure they happened. 

PUFFING BILLY
Puffing Billy is a fully operating steam train. A friend of mine from Compass picked me up and we were on our way. Lucas is from "the Hills" where the train is located, so for him it was like a trip home. We got to the train station and since the first train was sold out we bought tickets for the next and went for lunch at a cafe and to hang out with some cockatoos.   


When we got back to the train it was pretty packed, but we found ourselves a good seat with a thick edge so we could sit on the bench in the carriage or sit on the edge and let our feet hang out. The bench was hardly used, because honestly, there is no other way to ride a train than with your feet hanging free and the wind in your face and hair. 





The scenery was beautiful - farmland, lakes, hills, lush greenery, etc. When we crossed bridges or railroad crossings the people in their cars would wave and some even got out to watch the train and take pictures. We also passed through behind people's houses and they were on their porches waving.




I've never seen a steam train before, at least not as up close and personal as I got to see this one. It was crazy to see all the wheels, knobs, levers, etc that they have to use. I don't know how they know which does what and when to use which!





Our destination was a lake and the blue sky and sunshine came out just in time for our visit. We went for a walk around the lake and then took a rest by the lake just enjoying the fresh air and warm sun. 


It was time to hop back on the train and head back. Unfortunately, the train back was much shorter and none of the carriages had the thick edge to sit on, but you could still sit on it if you were willing to put up with a sore back end and your legs falling asleep. You better believe I sat on that edge! How many opportunities do you get to ride a steam train while hanging out over the edge?! We were close to the front as well so we got a full on experience with soot and all!!!

LUNA PARK
Luna Park opened in 1912 and is an iconic piece of Melbourne. It is on postcards, calendars, t-shirts, etc.

Luna Park is home to the world's longest continually operating roller coaster - The Scenic Railway. That same roller coaster is one of 3 roller coasters in the world that still use a brake man who stands in the middle of the train.
 
This was posted several times throughout the queue



This was the only ride I rode at Luna Park for lack of money, time, and interest in the other rides. The ride itself is the most painful roller coaster I've ever been on. My knees were banging against the seat in front of me and my head kept feeling like it was going to fall off. The view, however, was spectacular. I could see out and over the bay, which was gorgeous and sparkling. The sky was blue, there were palm trees, and I could see the whole park. Plus I was on a roller coaster that is a historical part of Melbourne and holds a record, although the record breaking roller coasters I'm used to riding usually have to do with speed, length, inversions, drops, etc. ;)

Local Cafes/Shops and Differences
The little busy streets of the local suburbs, the always full cafes, and the numerous shops and restaurants you come to know and love are part of what make Melbourne what it is. Before I left I wanted to make sure I captured that part of the culture of Melbourne and what quickly became part of my daily life.

High Prices



Call 000, instead of 911

Phone numbers are 8 #s, instead of 7

Utes, instead of big wheeled pick-ups

Regular Buses as School Buses, instead of Orange/Yellow Buses

Parking Signs - Ridiculous to try and understand on the fly

P & L Plates


Thanks for the reminder

 Cricket, all the time

Australia News/Weather

Trains everywhere

 Train Safety Ad

 Every new street starts at 1


 Have to walk to one of these to mail a letter

Postman!!!

How close all the houses are

Line Drying is common

Queen Vic Markets

Milk Bar (convenience store)

 Local Shops/Cafes/Restaurants

Grocery Stores


 Cafes














Bakeries




Fruit Shop

 News Agencies

 Discount Lolly Shops

Op Shop (Good will or thrift shop), Fish'n'Chips, Qantas

How you know you live in an area with a high Jewish population

No comments:

Post a Comment