Wednesday, November 6, 2013

In Love with the Northern Territory

I put hours of planning and budgeting and phone calling and internet research into my trip to the Northern Territory. I wanted to make sure if I was going to spend this significant amount of money on a trip that it was the best, most perfect option in terms of comfort, transportation, times, other passengers, activities, money, etc. I understand I can only control but so much of that, which is why I put a lot of effort into making sure I picked the best possible one for my budget and preferences so that the things I couldn't control wouldn't be such an issue. A few things I had no control over that turned out to be absolutely better than I could have ever wished for - the weather (sunshine and blue skies every day), my new friends, all the space on the first two legs, the lack of cell phone service, and the food (I did have a little control over this as I chose the tour with the slightly better food, but they didn't say what the food would be)!!! A few things I had no control over that turned out to be worse than I thought they'd be - the sunset and sunrise at Uluru (I wanted to be on the other side of the rock), one of the hostels, the location of the other hostel, and the water (warm and tasted gross). A few things I wasn't expecting at all that wasn't too enjoyable - the flies, the constant layer of dust (Red Centre), and the humidity (Top End). Whether it was something good that I enjoyed or something that wasn't so great, I honestly only cared for a short while, because it was all part of the experience.

Even now as I look back at that trip and everything we crammed into 10 days, all the people I met, and all the first (and possibly last) experiences I got to have... I can't help but feel blessed and as though this was the absolute most perfect way to be ending my time in Australia. Once the trip was over I still had 2 more weeks before I left, but this was one heck of a last hoorah. By the end of this trip I had forgotten about my job ending early and all the stress that came with that. To think that I almost let that stress keep me from taking this trip... That would have been a HUGE mistake! I'm so glad I decided to stick around and see my trip through because I would have missed out on an incredible adventure and would have several less really awesome stories to share. I would also have missed on meeting some pretty spectacular people and wouldn't have all these great memories to think back on when I need a pick-me-up.

My Northern Territory tour is definitely one of the top 5 highlights of my journey to Australia. It is a special place with so much culture (really really old culture/history), beautiful scenery, tons of adventure, fantastic wildlife, and the most laid back, secluded, non-technological, unconnected to the world atmosphere I've ever experienced and fully love. Australia itself is an amazing place and it is when you experience something like this that reminds you of just why Australia is so loved by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment