Friday, June 29, 2012

New Opportunity: MCG and Australian Football

I received an e-mail from Daniel (the dad of my Australian family) the other day. In it he mentioned that he and his brother were planning on taking Michelle (the 5, almost 6 year old girl of my Australian family) to the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in August to see her first Australian Rules Football (ARF) game. He then welcomed me to join them if I wanted to. My answer? OF COURSE!!!! Going to the MCG was something I had seen over and over during my online searches that was something all visitors to Australia should try and go to. I had also seen a couple times that watching a game of ARF was a must even if it just meant on the TV. I wanted to, but didn't quite know how or when. Now, I get to go to MCG AND see a game of ARF WITHIN A MONTH of being in Australia AND with part of my Australian family!!! Football? Stadium? Big whoop... Why get so excited over THAT?! Right?? WRONG!!!

Melbourne Cricket Ground is the TENTH LARGEST stadium in the world and the LARGEST in Australia!!  The total capacity is just over 100,000, although in the past it has held way more than that. The 1956 Summer Olympics were held in this stadium and in Victoria it is known as "The Spiritual Home of Australian Sport".


Australian Rules Football, officially known as Australian Football, is also called football, footy, or Aussie Rules. It is a major participation and spectator sport in Australia. The ball and field are an elliptical shape and 18 players of each team are allowed on the field at one time. The game is played in quarters and each quarter is 20 minutes long. The objective of the game is to score points by passing the ball through the team's goal. The main way to score points is by kicking the ball through the goal's two major posts. 3 main rules that are different from American football - 1. Players running with the ball must intermittently bounce the ball or touch it on the ground. 2. Players must not get caught "holding the ball", meaning they must dispose of the ball (by kick or handball) when tackled. 3. Throwing the ball is not allowed, instead they must handball it by holding it stationary in front of them with one hand and punching it with the other hand in a clenched fist.

Sorry for all the Caps. I am just so very excited about this opportunity and love seeing God continue to bless this journey. =D

1 comment:

  1. So.....I wanna go! I love the name footy, that one is my favorite. I would call it that ALL THE TIME. Well have fun my love and be sure to take pictures and yell really loud even though I wonder how well they are going to hear you if there are a TON of people there cheering as well. Don't lose your voice, my only tip for ya.

    ReplyDelete