Sunday, August 12, 2012

Big City = Public Transportation

Warning: This is by far my longest post to date. Do please actually take the time to read it regardless. It will be worth it.    

     Today all my possible rides to church had other obligations at the church that required them to arrive early, which meant it was time to put on my big girl pants and venture into the great wide world of public transportation. Back home public transportation is rare and fairly sketchy, while here is found all over and used by absolutely everyone. They don't just have buses... they have trains, buses, and trams that go all over the city and the outskirts of the city.
     Taking public transportation for the first time ever and taking it alone was extremely intimidating, but then again so is everything else about this entire journey. I looked up the times, train station and platform, and route several times. I asked all of my girl friends and Jen and Daniel (the mom and dad) about the whole process several times as well. Sunday morning at 9:20 came and I walked out the door on my own on my way to my very first attempt at public transportation.
     I got close to the station and couldn't figure out how to get up to the platform because it appeared the only way to do so was to walk across the train tracks. Back home you are advised not to do that, so I fiddled around with my bag and waited to see what this other lady did and she walked across. I decided if she could I could and I walked across and up the ramp to the platform. I checked and rechecked that I was headed towards platform 2. I found the lime green poles and screens that everyone had mentioned where you tap your public transportation card and tapped mine and it beeped like it was supposed to (Yay for working things!!). You do this so the program can know where you got on and off so it knows how much to deduct from your card's balance.
     I decided I wanted a picture of this momentous occasion, so I took out my camera and was trying to take a picture by myself of me... wasn't working. This guy came along and asked if I wanted him to take a photo. I was a little iffy about this, but thought the worst that could happen is he'll run off with my camera, but there were other people there so I didn't see that as a likely situation. He took a few photos, I told him thank you, and he went on his way towards the other end of the platform.
     The train arrived - not quietly - and I had no idea how to open the doors so I just waited behind a lady who looked like she knew what she was doing - she did. I got on, snapped a photo of me on the train, got settled, and it was already time to get off - it was a 4 minute ride... baby steps. I got off the train and noticed the same guy that took my picture earlier got off at the same stop. Coincidence or sketchy... couldn't decide. Anyways, I tapped off at the lime green pole and screen and noticed that Jen and Daniel had loaded my card with $50!! Needless to say, this will last me awhile.
     Now it was time to leave the station, but I couldn't figure out how to get off the platform and onto the street, so I fumbled around again and watched to see what that guy from earlier did. I kept my distance, but followed what he did. I made it out on the street, turned left, and prepared myself for the .7 mile walk to the church from the station. At some point early on in this walk I end up passing the guy from earlier because he stopped to talk to someone. For the rest of my walk I realized he was behind me. I kept waiting for him to turn or stop somewhere, but he kept following me. The whole way I was thinking to myself this guy better be going to the church. Then I got to thinking, no... he better be going to the church AND people better know who he is so I know he didn't just follow me here. I turn into the church and he turns in behind me and sure enough I hear him talking to someone right away. Phew! Sketchy stalker crisis averted! I walked in the front door and Louise and Nikki's parents were standing there and said, "Ah! You made it and with time to spare! And you are in one piece!! We were waiting for the phone call to have to pick you up, but you did it!!" I was tickled to see they were just as excited about my accomplishment as I was.

     So what happened to the not so sketchy stalker guy? --- His name is Tutu and he is a fashion designer for a high end line of clothing. He is very down to earth, smiley, and sincere. He takes that train every Sunday morning so we figure we can ride together from now on. He told me he actually wanted to ask me once we both got off at the same place if I was going to church, but didn't want it to be awkward if I wasn't. Also, by the time he finally just decided he was going to ask anyways, we were already at church.
     While I still have to use common sense about personal safety and things while in Australia, the level of danger is so much lower than back home. Australia is an extremely safe country with very few incidences. There are locations and areas where more caution is to be used (and more than likely I will never see these areas), but in general it is safe. For instance, two children - one about 10 the other about 8 - were riding their bikes around without an adult and we weren't in a neighborhood or anything. People are generally looking out for one another, polite, and always helping each other. This is one of the many reasons I can understand why people come here to visit and never return home.

5 comments:

  1. Funny story and Tutu did take a very nice photo! I find myself in that awkward type of situation far too often! It is sad that in America (more specifically Durham) it seems to be a common theme that people mind their own business because a lot of areas are..sketchy. This then creates a vicious cycle where people are discouraged to be nice or social because people are totally unsure of their intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are having all these new experiences, and very proud of you always keeping personal safety in mind. Helps put my mind at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you got around okay and that it was a fun experience. Maybe now when you get home you can go around Durham and chapel hill with me without a worry. It should be fun, continue to be adventurous and enjoy. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great episode . . . . . hmmmmm, I think we may have the inspiration for a new television series here. Hmmmmmmm.

    Anyway, as I was reading I thought the photo that Tutu took was exceptionally well-framed, balanced, etc. which is always good luck when you have a stranger take a photo for you. Made sense when I found out he is a designer. :-)

    Yay for public transportation! As you know, the quality of public transportation varies tremendously from one place to another in the US. I lived in Portland, Oregon for 8 years before moving to NC and was completely spoiled there. I was very shocked and disappointed at the sad state of public transportation when I arrived in the Raleigh-Durham area in 1995. To be fair, it has improved since then although it's light years from where it needs to be. I am glad you are able to experience a good system there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chasen: America definitely suffers from a vicious cycle of a lot of things - arrogance, self centeredness, sketchyness (lol), etc.

    Collin: Just don't want you trying to jump on a jet plane to make it over here fast enough to save me. =]

    Manda: I'll definitely be more able and willing to get around back home, especially in the bigger cities like Greensboro.

    Laura: Yeah, when I saw the picture right after he took it I was like wow... usually strangers take crooked, head chopped off, blurry photos, but this one was actually quite magnificent. I too had that "ah, that makes sense" moment when I found out he was a designer. I keep having to tell people here that when I say back home I mean the area I come from, because there is such a huge variety across America. The system here is complex and very very large with having to coordinate roads, tram and train lines, and buses and yet so easy to maneuver.

    ReplyDelete