Wednesday, April 10, 2013

NZ - Queenstown (Skydive, Swing, Luge)

We all woke up fairly quiet as this morning, partially due to the left over exhaustion from the previous day and partially because we all knew what this morning entailed. We would be saying good-bye to our two Canadian boys (Matt and Calvin) as they hopped on the bus to continue their journey. We walked with them down to the bus and chatted until it arrived. Once the bus pulled up we said our good-byes and gave hugs. They got on at the last minute while we all stood there. When the bus pulled away we waved to each other through the window. Everyone was teary eyed as we turned and walked back towards the hostel. This hit me harder than I expected it to. It's just didn't seem right that after only 5 days of bonding with and knowing these guys (and feeling like I'd known them for years) that I had to say good-bye. They were such an integral part of our group and trip that it just didn't seem fair. (We also said good-bye to Dan and Poppy, but I wasn't too upset about that because there was a good chance we'd see them again at our next stop).
Saying Good-Bye to the 2 boys in hats
Once we got back to the room I had to focus, because it was time to get ready for my sky dive!! I finished getting ready, packed my bag, and headed down to check-in. Turns out I was 30 minutes early, so I headed across the street to book my Milford Sound cruise for tomorrow. I booked, went back to the hostel to drop off my ticket and brochures I had picked up, and headed back to the sky dive place. I paid, checked-in, and filled out the forms. We watched a movie, had a short safety briefing, had a short Q&A, and then waited for the shuttle to arrive. They put me on the first shuttle, which I was pleased about because I wanted to just get out there and do this. I also had a booking at the Ledge Swing later in the afternoon that I didn't want to miss.

On the shuttle ride I met a lady whose work was paying for her to do this. The two of us chatted the whole way and even once we arrived. The space where you wait is really cool because there is green grass, a plane, picnic tables, giant jenga, giant chess, and giant connect-4. From there you can also watch the people jump out of the plane, descend, and land. When the videographers/photographers were landing they sounded like a small train coming in. Their speed was so intense down to the last second.


When it was time we went back into the hangar where all the suits, harnesses, parachutes, hats, lockers, goggles, etc are kept. I got suited up as I chatted with the people around working helping all of us get situated. They workers were all really friendly, in good moods, and just had such positive attitudes. Even if you were nervous (which I wasn't at all surprisingly) they would definitely be able to pull you out of it. I met my tandem guy - Scott - and then met my videographer/photographer - Andrias (or something like that). I could tell right away that both of them were going to make this experience a really good one. They were both friendly, funny, and chill.

Andrias took me out by the plane to do an initial interview and then I went back into the hangar to continue chatting and wait for the go ahead. We headed out to the plane - 8 jumpers with their tandem person and 5 or so videographers/photographers. I honestly wasn't nervous at all. I wasn't even having to play mind games with myself. I was completely at ease and excited about what was going to take place. Sitting on the plane was really uncomfortable because we are all sitting between someone else's legs and legs and such are quite squished. The scenery made up for that though because it was absolutely beautiful - unlike anything I've ever seen. Lake Wakatipu was bluer than blue, the grass was abundant and green, the mountains were huge and a few were capped with snow, the sky was blue, and the sun was shining. I couldn't imagine better scenery or better weather for sky diving. I was just soaking it all in and committing it to memory because I never wanted to forget it. I spent some time now and then chatting with Andrias and Scott about different things. Scott would update me on our height, which I felt like it took forever to reach.

Right before 12,000 feet Scott, my tandem guy, told me we weren't jumping yet, but that they were going to open the door to drop someone off (like this was the carpool lane at school or something). Once they started sliding that door open... the nerves kicked in and they kicked in hard and fast... I was shaking and my teeth were chattering. My mind started reeling. I stopped taking in the scenery and started focusing on my breathing. Next thing I knew Scott was doing some last minute hooking and tightening, the door opened, and one by one people were being sucked out of the plane as we kept inching towards the door (we were last). I was freaking out internally, but trying not to let it show too too much externally. The thing about sky diving is even if you don't want to go the tandem guy is the one moving you pretty much so you're going to go anyway. We got to the edge of the plane and I managed a quick smile for the Andrias and next thing I knew I was gone - sucked out of the plane.



I screamed for about half a second and then realized it had been done so if anything bad was going to happen it was out of my hands now and I should enjoy the moment in the meantime. I stopped screaming and just took it all in. My brain couldn't quite process the height, what was happening, or the fact that I had just jumped out of a plane, but it could process how beautifully breathtaking the scenery was, so I focused on that. I didn't feel like there was a tandem guy attached to my back. I felt completely free - minus the immense and intense pressure in my ears. I was honestly concerned that they may be seriously damaged. Andrias grabbed my hand and spun me around for some 360 views of the area and when he let go we continued spinning, which was pretty cool. After about 60 seconds of freefalling we said good-bye to Andrias and Scott pulled the shoot and rather than being parallel with the ground we were now perpendicular to it. The pressure in my ears broke a little bit, but it was still pretty uncomfortable. My brain still wasn't able to grab a hold of exactly what was taking place, so I continued just taking in the mountains, sky, trees, lake, etc. Every now and then Scott and I would have a quick exchange, but for the most part it was silent up there. The further down we got the more I realized what had happened and the more I couldn't believe that I was getting to have this experience. This... This is living life.






We landed on our feet like pros (because Scott is... and because that's just how they do it there)! I had one final short interview with Andrias, said good-bye, and walked back to the hangar to de-gear. I paid for my photos and videos and then went and looked at them on their computers. When I was finished with that I went and sat outside for a bit and exhaustion hit me like semi-truck. I couldn't keep my head up or my eyes open. When the shuttle arrived I went and sat in the shuttle and laid my head against the window until it was full and we could leave. I slept for most of the drive back to town.



I went and picked up chicken fried rice from the Noodle Canteen across the street after trying several cafe/bakery/grill type places and not being pleased with selection or prices at any of them. I went back to the room (which was empty), ate my lunch, then did some facebooking and updating. Sophie and Hayley returned from Hayley's bungy about 45 minutes or so after I had gotten in. She had a bag, which I said was a good sign, but she said not to get too excited because it wasn't what I thought. I asked what happened and she said she bottled it again like 4 times and then at the last minute the guy working the station said he would strap her to him and they could jump together. Apparently they only do this in very special occasions - she had paid twice and they could tell she really really wanted to but just couldn't. We watched her video and looked at the pictures and then got ready to leave.

Sophie, Hayley, Jim, Dan, and I all headed up the mountain on the gondola so I could do my Ledge Swing which is located 400 metres above Queenstown and then we were all going to go luging. While I was checking in for the swing Jim ended up booking to bungy. We went down to the platform while Dan, Hayley, and Sophie stood on the viewing platform. I had to stand there for a while because there were people ahead of me bungying (including Dan) and after all the bungying and sky diving... it was this that I was the most nervous about. I'm not sure why. I still can't even pinpoint what the issue was, but I was silent and nervous. Dan did his bungy and then it was my turn to do the swing. The guy and I walked around to the swing platform and my brain was so everywhere. He hooked me up, I asked a million questions, and then he slid me down the cable.


I was seated upright in the harness and trying very very hard not to think about what was going on. The issue at this point was that I was hanging over the forest below. With the bungys you are on solid ground right up until the last minute, but here you are hanging before it even starts. I disconnected the safety clip and connected it to the cable over my head. A few photos were snapped and the guy started giving me directions on how to pull the rip cord. I asked a million questions about this and then out of nowhere he started counting, I closed my eyes as tight as I could, then "3, 2, 1" and I yanked the rip cord while simultaneously screaming like crazy. I dropped to the forest below before swinging out over the trees. By the time I was swinging out for the first time I was done screaming and starting taking it all in. Queenstown is such a cute, pretty down situated among the mountains and along the water. The water was bluer than blue and the sun was shining. It was absolutely beautiful and quite the rush. The swing movement was very relaxing as well. And as always when the pulled me up all I wanted was to do it all over again. Jim and I picked up our photos and videos and then we all headed to the chair lift to go luging.






There are 2 tracks - scenic (you must do first) and advanced (we did the remaining 4 go's) - both are 800 metres in length. Luging is done entirely with gravity and special luge carts where you pull the handle bars towards you to brake and push them away to accelerate. For adults we had way too much fun on these things. Jim went up onto the bank at one point. Dan cut his finger. A few of us went up on just one side while rounding a bend. During a few of the go's we made sure to stick together and slow down for each other to get pictures at the cameras placed along the track. We all laughed from as soon as we started the track to after we got off a track. The speed you can get on these tracks in these little carts was really quite intense, especially when paired with hills, tunnels, dips, bends, etc. After our 5 go's we ordered our photos (we got a free one each), took a few pictures ourselves, and then headed back down on the gondola. I must admit that during the luging there were times when I could sense that I was coming off very short and jerk like. I apologized while up there for any time I've sounded that way and for any time in the near future it may happen again. I was fully and completely exhausted and when I get that way it can affect my attitude (my mom knows this all too well).





Queenstown from the gondola
On our way down the stairs into town I fell on my left thigh and ankle quite hard. I knew right away the bruise that was going to leave would be a big, purple one. Once I stood up and we assessed I was okay, Sophie said, "That's what happens when you do too much crap in one day Nikki!", and I couldn't help but laugh because she was so very right. Clear as day I remember literally forgetting to tell my feet what to do and they just crumpled underneath me without direction. And that... that is how you know you are tired. I continued on with the evening plans anyways. I gave Dan my Fergburger (if you want to know more about them read the previous post) order and went down the street with Sophie because I needed to pick up my skydiving photos and videos and she wanted to check out a pair of shoes. Once that was finished and we had our burgers on the "beach" - small rocks that made up the shore of the lake. Dan hand fed the ducks, I ruined my sweatshirt with the juices from the Fergburger, and we all watched the sun set once more behind the mountains over the water.

They all planned to stay out a bit and listen to this guy sing and play live on the street, but I honestly just couldn't be out any longer. I was at the end of my limit so I headed back. Back at the room I did some packing, preparing, uploading, updating, etc etc. At some point Sophie and Hayley came to the door out of breath and told me I just had to come with them to hear this guy because he was so good. Despite my better judgment I put on my jacket and joined them simply because they took the time and effort to run all the way here to get me. I don't know if it is because I was so exhausted or what, but I didn't think he was that good honestly. The music was good, but his voice and arrangements, I thought, were crap. I lasted through 2 or 3 songs, but was miserable for all of them. It was cold, the ground was hard, I couldn't support my own head, and by this point... all I wanted to do was cry. I told them I just couldn't last any longer, but that I'd see them back at the room.

I walked into the hostel and apparently how I was feeling was all over my face because the lady behind the desk asked me if I was okay. I said yeah and kept on walking. I walked into my room, laid on the floor (my bed was covered in stuff), and immediately just burst into tears. Not the silent crying I've become so used to since my stay in Australia, but full on sobbing. I had literally pushed myself to the end of my limit and I was breaking down. At some point, I'm assuming very quickly, I drifted off. Next thing I knew Hayley was in the room shouting my name. I shot up, wiped my face, and when she asked I said I was okay I just must have fallen asleep. She said, "No, you're not okay. What's going on babes (she called those in the group that)? Seriously, tell me." I explained that I think I had just overdone it with the late nights, early mornings, and action packed days, and my body was done for now. She started clearing my bed and said I just needed to go to sleep. I then explained that I couldn't sleep because I still had to pack my things up to be ready to move rooms in the morning before I caught my 7am tour bus to Milford Sound. I also still needed to get pictures off people's cameras for Max (the one who lost his) and pack my bag for my trip/tour tomorrow. And I needed to figure out what to do about the fact that I needed to purchase 2 bands from a shop that would be closed from here on out at the times I was available as well as a skydiving shirt. She said, "Okay. Tell me what to do. What needs to be packed? What needs to be done? We can do this and then you can go to bed." It's still boggles my mind that Hayley treated me more like a friend she's known and loved for years rather than some stranger she met just 5.5 days ago.

Funny enough instead of doing anything productive we watched my skydiving video and her bungy jumping video. By the time we had done that the others had returned to the room. While they continued watching I started packing. When I asked, Max said if I gave him the money he would go buy the 2 bands while I was gone during the day. As for the skydiving shirt, the place's hours said it should be open after I get back from my trip/tour the next night. I did as much packing as I could, had one last good chat, hang out, and laugh with our group, and then we all turned in for the night. The lights went out, we reminisced on the day, and then said our last good-nights to each other. This was our last night before our group dwindled down to 5.

2 comments:

  1. Too much adrenaline Baby Duck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it as if I already didn't tell you. I wanna go!

    ReplyDelete