Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week 1 is Done!

I have officially made it 1 week in Melbourne!!!

This past weekend was Michelle's 6th birthday party at a circus school, which was fun.

Yesterday, I had my first driving lesson, which went much better than expected. I just have to keep telling myself - KEEP LEFT!! Last night I also did bath time by myself and the kids were wonderful for me. Today I drove home from Ben's creche (without Ben), to Ben's creche (without Ben), and home from Ben's creche (with Ben). Gran was in the passenger seat all 3 times. Driving is going well actually. The biggest areas of unease are right turns at large intersections and the many round abouts. I have another driving lesson tomorrow afternoon.

    The food issue is working out and I never go hungry. I went to the supermarket the other day (where I learned just how expensive everything is here) so if I don't like something I just pull something else to replace it or have a snack later on. Also, the mom always lets me know what is for dinner and asks to make sure I like it or can find something I like.
     Ben is really warming up to me (we spent some one-on-one time during dinner tonight talking about walruses) and is working very hard at the independence goals I have set for him (mainly to get dressed mostly by himself). Michelle is testing her boundaries with me a little, so I kindly and respectfully let her know that I will not accept shouting, not listening, or outright mean behaviors towards me or Ben. She is however still very sweet and cuddly. The mom came up to my room to check on me today (I was off duty because both the kids were at school) and we ended up spending some time looking at my smash book. Speaking of, I got a good amount completed today which was a nice change in pace. I also got half my clothes hung up / put away, which is helping me feel settled.
     The cleaners came today, which was kind of weird, but I guess I'll have to get used to since they come every Tuesday.
     The parents and I have really been chatting a lot - learning about each other and our backgrounds, films, experiences, etc. At dinner this evening I learned more about how/when the mom and dad met, got engaged, and married. Also, I overheard the mom telling the dad I almost made her cry today when I asked for her permission to organize the play room in the next few weeks (she has been wanting to do it for years). With the dog's ridiculous barking, the baby's constant intense crying, the older children's many responsibilities and need for attention, and the dad working very long hours (7:30 am - 7:30 pm, dinner, work from home for a couple more hours)... I now see why they needed an aupair. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on making it through 1 week in 1 piece and still loving it all. I am glad you blogged too, I know you have been busy but I have been itching for a post for a while now and was wondering if you forgot about your followers. lol JK! I love you and know that business is a good thing. Have fun and cannot wait to hear about week 2 or 3 or whatever you post.
    LOVS YA!

    ReplyDelete