Sunday, September 2, 2012

Australian Father's Day

September 2nd was Father's Day in Australia so I joined in the festivities.

My Dad: Although we just had Father's Day in June back in the US, I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to send something home and let my dad know how much I appreciate him. I bought a Father's Day card that was beyond perfect for mine and my dad's relationship. It didn't have anything Australian on it though so I decorated it with a few different types of Australian stickers. I also wrote a message to him on the inside. I mailed it off on a Monday (Australian time) and it arrived on a Saturday (Australian time), so it only took 6 days for the card to get back home, which was quite surprising. I woke up to an e-mail from him saying the card was absolutely beautiful, made him cry, made him laugh, and really touched his heart. I was beyond pleased, because I was hoping it would do just that. Being in Australia I realize just how much I take for granted the fact that I even have a dad. There are people whose dads aren't in their lives, have passed, or just don't live up to what a dad should be. I on the other hand have a dad who is involved in our lives, is alive and well, provides for us, believes in me, encourages me, and above all, loves me and yet, I don't thank God for him every day or even tell him I love him every day. I am beyond blessed that God has given me a strong, providing, loving, God following man as my Daddy.


Daniel: The family here has been preparing for Father's Day for the past week or so and it is kind of hard to not get involved. Every year the kids decorate hankies for Daniel and when they did it this year I decided to join in. I decorated a Hankie for Daniel (based on our mutual love for crazy socks) and wrote a short little message on it. I also bought him a funny Father's Day card and then wrote a little message on the inside. When I came downstairs Father's Day morning I handed him the card. He was quite surprised. Clearly he wasn't expecting a thing from me. He said thank you, waited, and then asked if he should open it, and I said sure. He opened it, read it, and then told me a very sincere (still surprised) thank you. We went on with our mornings and before I left he thanked me again for the card (it really wasn't that spectacular, but I just think he was surprised by it) and then told me, "You know, I must say, we really enjoy having you here as well." I responded, "Aw, that's good! I'm glad to know you guys don't stay up at night whispering about me." And we laughed. During the church service they handed out presents for dads and there were some left overs being offered so I took one home for Daniel. I came home from church and he said, "Thank you for my gift! I love it!" (referring to the hankie). I told him no problem and that I enjoyed making it. Then I handed him the gift I got from the church. He was like, what's this? I said I don't know, it's for you, happy Father's Day. He said, "Who is it from?" I told him about how I got it from church. He said, "But you already gave me something." I said, "Yeah, and here's something else." He finally gave in and opened it and was very thankful.

Considering I had to be able to show my love, appreciation, and gratefulness to my dad from 9,900 miles away as well as show my gratitude to Daniel (who I just met a month and a half ago) I would say that this was an extremely successful Australian Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment