Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fish 'n' Chips

Two of the girls from church (Nikki and Louise, you should know who these two are by now, so I will probably start just referring to them by their names in future posts) opened up their home to me on Friday night (8/24, I know I know... I'm a week behind). I was invited over to just check out from all the chaos in my house. This involved sitting in a living room on a couch with a fireplace (first time I have felt really and truly warm since I've been here - no slippers, sweatshirt, or blanket and I was still nice and cozy), watching TV, and having a yummy meal. This may seem like nothing, but it was everything to me!!! To get away from the children in my house I have to go to my room and sit on my floor or bed, which has become a place of isolation instead of relaxation. I spend way too much time in here, but it is the only way to get any quiet time and even then... the walls aren't sound proof so I can still hear all the screaming, squealing, crying, stomping, etc. Just to be out of the house would have been a treat all by itself. I can't watch TV because it isn't children's programming that I want to watch (well, sometimes it is, but they aren't allowed to watch TV that often). TV is one of the few ways that I can actually fully shut down my brain and just rest for a minute and I haven't been able to fully do that since I arrived here. And the yummy meal, well that was just a wonderful bonus!!! I was treated to my first official meal of fish 'n' chips and fried pineapple! YUM!!! Not to mention, we ate in the living room, which I've been itching to do since I came here. For the past 4 years I have either eaten in my bed (dorm rooms) or in the living room (apartment) and for the past month I have eaten every meal at the dining table. After some conversation and dinner, a movie was turned on... something about Yemen and salmon... I think... Why don't I know? Well... the furniture was comfortable, I was warm, the room was quiet... and I fell asleep. The BEST nap I have had since I have been here. After the movie they spent quite some time helping me plan my parking/driving route to Acland Street (in St. Kilda - about 5 miles away, which in Melbourne driving time means about 20 minutes) for the following night so I could drive the manual on my own for the first time to meet up with some of the other aupairs for the first time (<--- Next Post).

Again, this may seem like nothing, but for someone who took a huge step of faith in coming to another country alone, simple things like this mean everything. I am a stranger (well, not anymore, but still) to them and yet they have opened their home, provided food for me (on more than one occasion), gave me rides to and from places, and have also taught me how to drive the manual so I can have more freedom here. I don't know about you, but this reminds me a lot of Matthew 25: 34 - 40.
     "'Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
     'Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
     'The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I am beyond grateful that God has brought me to a church with a group of girls that truly know what it means to have a heart like their Heavenly Father's.

No comments:

Post a Comment