Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Ohio Family

As much as I love my Ohio family, as they know, I was hesitant about taking out all the time required to fly there and back, but I really really wanted to see them. It was a last minute decision to go, but I’m sure glad I did.As always they greeted me with smiles and welcomed me with open arms (literally).

The flight there was super early in the morning so that I could get there in time to go to a baseball game with them, but also to make the most out of the trip I figured if I’m going to take the time out to fly up there than I might as well fly up as early as possible and fly back as late as possible so it felt more like 3 days. 2 of my cousins (Jess and Ali) picked me up from the airport and then we picked up lunch before the baseball game. Me, Jess, Ali, 2 of my other cousins (Melissa and Brock), their little one (Brody), and my Uncle Willy all went to the game together. It was perfect baseball weather – not too hot, not too cold, and dry (for the most part). Baseball is fun to watch, but watching with a little guy who loves the sport makes it all that much more fun. I loved watching Brody’s eyes widen when the ball went over the fence and his smile brighten when Muddy (the mascot) came out and his hands clap wildly together when there was a home run…. Not to mention I got the soft pretzel I've been yearning for for months!! After the game the kids got to run the bases so Brock took Brody to the field to run which was too cute because about half way through he was so over it. Once they made it to home base and we walked back to the car we went home to change and recollect before heading out to see my Uncle Willy play in a soccer match. Afterwards we went to dinner and after dinner we stayed up chatting but my darn jet lag got the best of me and I ended up falling asleep.








The following day I did some shopping with Melissa and Brody for the night's cookout and a water table for Brody. Then we met up with my grandparents and Ali for lunch. After lunch we went home and Brody and I laid down for a nap. I was completely exhausted. The jet lag this time around was way worse than when I went to Australia. Over a week later and I was still struggling to stay awake during the day. After the nap my cousins and I and my Uncle Willy had a yummy cookout. We watched Brody play with his water table which of course induced a lot of laughter when he started pouring cups of water on his head and face. When it was time to eat I gave him his first Australian present from me – a cape towel with the Australian flag and a koala on it that said G'day, Melbourne Australia. After dinner I gave Brody his other two presents from me – a t-shirt and a wooden kangaroo and koala puzzle. Then I made them all try Vegemite. Their faces were absolutely priceless!! Ali was the only one who took note of the fact that I wasn't eating any. My Uncle Willy was the only one to finish theirs, except for Brock who finished his on a bet/bribe. When Brody ate it (2.5 years old) his face was hilarious!! I asked him if he liked it and he said no and shook his head. When Melissa (his mom) asked him if it was good he said yes but then when she told him to take another bite he said no, shook his head, and put it down. After that awful tasting experience we all went out to ice cream – the cheapest, coolest, yummiest, most massive ice cream.






I stayed up late with the cousins chatting about anything and everything on this last night there before heading to bed. These 2 nights here in Ohio I slept like a rock. It was the best sleep I'd had since I'd been home. The next (and last) day Jess, Brock, and Brody worked together to make delicious pancakes for breakfast and then we went to the park. We went home and had lunch and then took a rest before heading to my grandparents' house. There is just something so special about a Grandma's and Grandpa's house. For me it's like a time capsule that opens up every time I open the door. There are so many memories that took place in that house from when I was younger – Easter, birthdays, Christmases, Thanksgivings, Raggedy Ann, kitty blanket, sparkle lamp, the pink bathroom, and so much more. The smell is the exact same as well – no candles, no air fresheners, just grandma's house. That good smell alone is enough to send me into a world of nostalgia. I got to share a lot of my adventure stories with them, including videos, and give them their gifts. Brock dropped Brody off a little while later. We went outside and I spent some time playing with Brody and getting pictures with my grandparents (I have very very few of these from over the years). When it was time to go we went back to the house, I packed up, packed a quick dinner, said my good-byes to Melissa and Brody, then Jess and I were off to the airport.



While the trip felt short, really just 2 days, we crammed so much into those 2 days that it felt like I was there for a week. It wasn't enough time, but it was a really good time, and that's the most important bit. Every time I go to Ohio to see my family they take amazing care of me, make sure I have everything I need, and just always make me feel so loved and welcome. I love that the length of time we go without seeing one another and the physical distance between us doesn’t seem to change a thing about how much we love each other – I guess that’s the thing about family though. =]

PS: I should probably mention that I did not get to see my Aunt Marcia while I was in Ohio because she had actually come down to NC to see me a couple days before I left to go up to Ohio. So I did get to see her for a couple days while she was in NC, but then I went up to OH and she said in NC to camp. I am very thankful for the effort and time this required on her end. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment