Thursday, June 13, 2013

Surprise for Hopie

I didn't tell my Hopie the actual date I was coming home because I didn't think it would change when I got to see her so I didn't think it mattered. Well, when I posted the pictures and videos and status' about being home she apparently ran to her mom shouting that I was home. It was then arranged for her to come to her grandma's (10 minutes from my house) the following weekend. I told her that I had a lot planned for that weekend - my family was due in town on Friday, Rebeka's (my little sister) prom was on Saturday, and I left for Ohio on Sunday - but that I would try my hardest to find some time to come see her for a short bit. Hope's mom texted me when they were on the way to the area (they live about 2.5 hours away) and I explained my situation and that while I want to see her so very badly I didn't know if I'd have time. After that text and given how late it was getting and the conversations Hope had with her mom and Grandma regarding the text and my schedule she figured I wasn't going to be able to make it.

Well... After seeing my little sister off to prom I went to Hope's grandma's house and just walked in the door. I was expecting them to be in the living room since that's where they always are, but when they weren't I started down the hallway. When I turned the corner Hope was coming down the hallway as well (her Grandma had told her to go see who was at the door, knowing it was me) her took her a split second to realize it was me. During that split second she said, "Nikki?... Nikki!!!" and by then she was in my arms and we were both crying. We stood there like that in the hallway for quite some time. Me just holding my big Sweet Baby Girl and the both of us crying. For the next 20 minutes or so we didn't let go of each other. We walked to the couch tangled in each other's arms and then snuggled on the couch while we chatted with Grandma.



She's definitely grown since I've been away. She's grown physically - she's almost as tall as me (but I can still hold her, which I'm pleased about and I told her before I left that no matter how tall she ever got I was still going to hold her even if her feet were dragging on the ground). She's grown mentally - she's going into the 6th grade and her conversational skills are much much higher. She's grown emotionally and she's becoming so much more mature (however, in ways it is still very obvious that she's still just 10). It blows my mind that this girl is the same little preschooler I started watching years ago. What blows my mind even more is the level our relationship has gone to and the indescribable, immense love the two of us have for each other. She will forever be my Sweet Baby Girl, my Hopie, no matter how old or how big she gets. I am so very blessed to be able to be a part of her life and I can't wait to see what other memories the two of us get to make together.

No comments:

Post a Comment